First Things First
Before we start with the measuring, lay down the garment on a flat hard surface and smooth out any wrinkles.
Steps to Measure a Sweatshirt
- Neck to Shoulder: Measure from middle of the neck to end of shoulder (where sleeve starts).
- Sleeve length: Measure from the shoulder to the wrist.
- Shoulder to Shoulder:Measure this length from one shoulder to another.
- Chest: Measure around the fullest part, place the tape close under the arms and make sure the tape is flat across the back.
- Front Length: Measure from the highest point of the shoulder to the desired hemline.
- Hem: Measure from one side to another, but it is vital to take this measurement from above the elastic area (If sweatshirt have any).
- Sleeve cuff: At the widest point of the wrist, measure its circumference. Leave enough room for watches or jewelry worn often. Take this measurement from above the elastic area same as Hem length measurement.
Pro Tip: If you are selling clothing online, sign up for the free size chart creator.
Tips for Taking Measurements:
- Take all measurements lying flat. Lay the sweatshirt out on a flat surface. The front should be facing up. Hanging clothes can stretch as you measure and if you have them on a model of a different size this can skew your measurement.
- Use a flexible tape measure at least 36″ long. Don’t try to take clothes measurements with standard 12″ ruler you’ll end up with an inaccurate measurement. If you have no tape measurement handy and this is somewhat of an emergency, you can always download a printable measuring tape online.
- Measure twice! If you don’t get the same measurement both times try again.
- Record measurement to the nearest 1/4 inch. Anything more specific is irrelevant but remember lying flat measurements are generally doubled (e.g. lying flat waist of 12.5″ can be understood as a 25″ waist) so a 1/4 inch could make a difference.
- Take measurements when you’re taking photos. Trying to measure as your listing at your desk ends up taking a lot more time and energy moving back and forth between tasks.
- Some sweatshirts are sold by chest size only. These tend to be roomy, unisex styles that may swamp a petite woman.
- Not all manufacturers make their clothes to the same specifications. Always check the size chart before you buy online.
Create Accurate Measurement Templates in Seconds
Start creating Free Templates Now.
A quick and easy way of sharing measurements online, Sizely works on any platform and it takes seconds to generate a sizing template.
- Increase sales & reduce returns at the same time
- Works on any platform such as eBay, Poshmark, Etsy & more.
- Over 180+ Templates across all categories
- Imperial and metric system support
- Save, edit & share measurements in seconds
GET MORE TIPS LIKE THIS IN YOUR INBOX
Sign up for our newsletter and get monthly seller tips & tricks.
(No spam, we promise)